So, there you are, dragging your patooty through one gray day after another, wondering where your brain went, why your body aches and if you'll ever feel good again.
Even if your doctor checked for thyroid problems, and the flaky blood tests actually found the problem, you probably ended up on the ineffective medication Synthroid or its generic equivalent. It helps almost nobody.
But you do not have to be hypothyroid to lack energy and joy. Perhaps your thyroid's in a world of hurt because of what you've been doing to it, but it'll work if you let it.
Either way, here are six tips to stop beating up on your thyroid and get a power boost.
• Do not eat bread, cookies, cakes, etc-at least, not any you buy. And not because of calories. Commercial bakeries started using bromine, a fire retardant, as a dough conditioner in the 1980s, and bromine is death on the thyroid, which just happens to control our metabolism and energy.
Here's how it goes. Our thyroid hormone needs iodine to work Bromine is chemically very similar to iodine, and when it gets into our bodies, it pushes iodine out of the way and hijacks our thyroid hormone. Well, bogus thyroid can not cut the mustard, so you're toast. You're pumping out hormone with no power. Zilch, zero, nada.
But here's the kicker: Blood tests can not tell real thyroid from bogus thyroid. You may be dragging bottom, but the test says you're good to go. Even if you're verging on comatose. The blood test has spoken.
• And everything I said about bromine goes for fluoride-in spades. Do not drink fluoridated water. Do not use fluoridated toothpaste. Do not bathe in fluoridated water. Do not take fluoride-based antibiotics. No fluoride; No way, no how.
Fluoride's murder. And, no, it does not help anyone's teeth; Fluoride has mottled and weakened the teeth of nearly half the kids in the US There's nothing good to say about fluoride.
• Eat plenty of protein, including red meat at least every other day. Our thyroid glands, as part of the endocrine system, thrive on protein. They live for protein. They can not make it without protein. And red meat has micronutrients we need and can not get anywhere else.
But (and why is there always a 'but'?) Do not eat just any protein. Beef from factory farms contains hormones, antibiotics and, because of the cow's unnatural diet of grains, a whole lot of disease-causing Omega 6.
Gotta get grass fed, grass finished beef-and milk, butter and cheese-with no hormones and no antibiotics, just a bunch of omega 3 to bless your socks off.
• You do not want to cut off the fat, either. Our bodies make their hormones from saturated fat. Our brains need fat to function. And we need to eat saturated fat to absorb nutrition from our food. No fat means no nutrition.
• And for pity's sake, I'm begging you, do not eat soy. …