The surroundings is getting colder, and you are able to see pale, dry leaves covering up the gardens and roads – autumn has come and with it the whole atmosphere has turned a little depressing. On the other hand, autumn also offers a treat for your taste buds as a huge selection of seasonal vegetables and fruits fill up the stores. What's more, a little bit of food indulgence is just what you need to beat the autumn doldrums and pep up your spirits.
Treat yourself to the deep, dark colored juicy fruits and vegetables rich in nutrients and phytochemicals that will not just delight your senses but will also build your health and prepare you for winter.
Here's a list of some of the best Autumn Comfort Foods –
* Apples – Apples contain flavonoids, which are probably the most powerful antioxidants available in food form. From reducing the risk of health diseases to preventing cancer, apples have many health benefits. There are two reasons why they're great choice, especially in the autumn season – first they have powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-allergenic properties that will fight off the common allergies and infections that crop up in the autumn season; And secondly, they are excellent for your skin and can help your feel and look younger. Have them with your breakfast, or as a mid-day snack, and you can actually keep the doctor away!
* Cranberries – Cranberries are delicious, juicy and absolutely healthy fruit widely available in the autumn season. They're low in calories and are packed with anthocyanins, heart-healthy antioxidants. Cranberries also play an essential role in treating gum diseases, mouth ad stomach ulcers, urinary tract infections and many forms of cancer. You can find fresh cranberries from September to December, but most of it's used for cranberry juices and sauce.
* Pumpkin – Pumpkins are certainly another important autumn comfort food, for they're loaded with beta-carotene, antioxidants, Folate and Vitamin C. Even the seeds are loaded with nutrition and are a rich source of Zinc and Omega 3 fatty acids. The air gets quite dry in autumn, which can affect your skin and make it look chapped and dull. Making pumpkin a part of your diet, can keep your skin supple, moisturized and infection free.
* Garlic – Garlic definitely is nature's own medicine. It contains Alllicin, a chemical that is highly effective against fungi, viruses and bacteria. Internal consumption of garlic can reduce the LDL cholesterol levels in the blood and prevent cancer. As for the autumn blues, consuming garlic can drastically improve your mood too.
* Ginger – Ginger has a lot of inherent heat, which is what helps it be a perfect autumn comfort food. Whether you prefer ginger tea, or ginger pickle or just plain julienned ginger with honey, the advantages of this root are many. It can heal cough, cold and throat congestion, provide relief from digestive problems and soothe your stomach, fight nausea and even work miracles in driving away the …